Thursday, January 21, 2010

Language Barrier Reef

As I've mentioned many times, there is a major difference between Australian and American English. Mostly, Australian English derives from British English, but they usually take it a few steps further and use words that are so convoluted, it's difficult to decipher what anyone is talking about.

For example, today I was called a "seppo". I dared to ask and this is what I learned.

I am American. In Australia, they sometimes call us "yanks". Easy enough, right? Well, because of a little ditty called rhyming slang, "yank" is then transformed into "septic tank". Rhyming slang is used commonly in Australia and some of my favorites include ordering a pigs ear = beer, and giving it a rotary hoe = go. Perfectly logical right?

Finally, because Australians abbreviate everything, "septic tank" is shortened to "seppo" and there you have it. A seppo is an American. How do you like me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment