Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Last Day!

I had booked an early evening flight out of Ho Chi Minh City so I had plenty of time for more exploring before heading home. We woke up early to took off to visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, a intricate network of tunnels built during the Vietnam War.

Before arriving to the tunnels, we took a quick detour to check out the rubber trees (very cool) and we got to see how the village women make rice paper (even cooler). You never appreciate something until you see the effort that goes into making it. I love fresh Vietnamese rice paper rolls more than anything, and now I love them even more! Amazing.

The Cu Chi Tunnels are crazy. Firstly because everything is so small and secondly because it's all so intricate. The American army was obviously much more sophisticated than the Vietnamese, but boy was the home team creative! I was too afraid to go down into the tunnels but quite a few of my comrades did and no one emerged without a scarred look on their faces. It was so hot, so dark, and so tiny. Not for me! The photo here is of Adam trying to fit into one of the safe holes. They were obviously not built to fit Westerners!

Growing up, I've visited my fair share of war museums and remanence memorials but this was different. Maybe it was because it felt so uneven and unwarrented. But one thing is for sure - the memories will stick with me for a long time to come.

Back in the city with a few hours to spare, Pippa and I couldn't go past a last meal - and there was no better place than Pho 2000. Pho is a traditional Vietnamese noodle soup and Pho 2000 is the restaurant Bill Clinton made famous on a trip to Ho Chi Minh City in the 90's. We giggled at the photos of the President with the staff - he literally looked like a giant in a sea of smiling Vietnamese faces. But it food - that is no joke! It was magnificent. Beautiful noodles with tons of different mushrooms, Asian basil, mint, tofu, crackles, lime and pink salt. Wow - what a way to go out.

Looking back on my experience, I truly believe it was one of the best things I've ever done. I don't get many holidays, so I really like to make the most of my time when I get away. My trip ticked every box because it enabled me to see three very unique countries and offered a really good mix of urban culture, beach relaxation and typical village family life. I learned so much and I came back with a renewed appreciation for my life and all the things I take for granted. My time in Asia was crazy, hectic, fun and pretty insane, but one thing is for sure - I know I'll be back! To check out the rest of the photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment