Monday, July 18, 2011

Sihanoukville

On December 12, 2012 the big petrol companies will start drilling for oil in Cambodia, so the poorest country in Southeast Asia will see dramatic changes very quickly. That's why I am so glad I was able to experience Cambodia while it's still untouched, and there was no better place to do that than Sihanoukville.

Thailand has a great reputation for beaches, but Sihanoukville is not to be missed. The tiny town is dotted with hostels and small, clean hotels and it seems that the only people who venture the three hours south of Phnom Penh are backpackers. This makes for a pretty interesting scene, and one that will undoubtedly disappear in two years time when the high rise hotels and five star resorts move in en masse. We spent our first day at the popular Tranquility Beach, which is covered with tiki bars, children selling handmade bracelets, and women trying to make money by threading people's body hair. Quite the combination. We had a pretty relaxing afternoon, although I have to admit I had trouble relaxing due to a man in my peripheral having his back hair painstakingly removed. That was disgusting. What I did love was watching the local women balancing towers of live lobsters on their heads and having a few days to just chill.

In many ways, Sihanoukville reminds me of Orient Beach in my beloved St. Maarten. There is heaps to eat, drink and see - or you can very easily do nothing at all. My favourite part was when the sun went down because everyone gathers on the beach to feast on beautiful seafood and tropical drinks. The restaurants are equipped with dining tables and lounge furniture, so it's a fantastic spot to drown yourself in king prawns, lobsters and mai tais while listening to the beautiful sounds of the sea.

There is currently one five star resort in Sihanoukville, so my friend Pippa and I decided to go check it out. What a difference a ten minute walk makes! Sokha Hotel is pristine and it's huge beach is stunning and completely deserted. Pippa and I spent the day lounging in luxury both on the beach and by the pool, and had one of the most gorgeous lunches of the trip (blue swimmer crab ravioli, yum!). At a time during the trip when we were all starting to get a bit weary of the travel, Sihanoukville provided a welcoming escape from reality. I know Sihanoukville will change in the very near future, but I'm so grateful to have experienced it in all of its rawness before the drilling begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment