Friday, January 16, 2009

A Busy Day

It was a stunning day here in Sydney, with the temperature hitting about 80 degrees and the sun shining with a perfect breeze. We started the day seeing an apartment just on the outskirts of the inner city and took a long tour of a few new neighborhoods, including Darlinghurst, Kings Cross and Woolloomooloo.

We really liked Kings Cross, which mixes a bit of old school St. Marks Place grit with gorgeous fountains and groomed commons. The main drag, Darlinghurst Road, is definitely a backpacker haven and the peep shows and XXX clubs lit up mid-day remind me of Eighth Avenue back home. Of course, I was charmed!

Lunch was quite a culinary extravaganza. We dined at Harry’s CafĂ© de Wheels at the base of the Woolloomooloo Wharf. Kendra talked me into it after seeing it in an episode of some motorcycle show on the Discovery Channel. The delicacy at Harry’s is a Tiger, a personal sized meat pie covered in mashed potatoes, mashed peas and doused with gravy. I opted for the chicken mushroom Tiger and I have to hand it to my sister, as disgusting as it looked, it was pretty delicious. Definitely an Aussie gastronomic experience.

After lunch, we needed a breather before we continued on so we popped into the Bells Hotel Bar for a beverage. Here I am proud to say that I had my first Barons Lager in Australia! Bells Bar was pretty wild – it kind of looked like an old school saloon with a huge, dark wraparound bar and pool tables in the corner. We’ve seen a few of these “hotel bars”, which are quite the opposite of those in New York that tend to be swanky and overpriced.

Feeling refreshed, we strolled through the lovely Hyde Park and visited St. Mary’s Cathedral. After a semester in Italy, I never thought I’d be impressed by another church, but this one was just gorgeous with a soaring ceiling similar to the sails of the Opera House.

On our way back to the hotel, we walked through the botanical gardens and visited the Quay to take some pictures of the sights. Looking at the Bridge and out over the harbour is really something special. We are two very lucky girls!

1 comment: